REMINISCE: Translating ambient moments into tangible and shareable memories
Kyung Yun Choi, Darle Shinsato, Shane Zhang, Lingxi Li
Keyword: Tangible Memory, Reminisce, Notebook, Ambiance, Shape-changing display, Origami
CONCEPT: Tangible Memory Book
Device that records ambiance (in the form of ambient noise) and translates this into tactile movement via a shape changing sheet.
Recorded ambiance is embedded into the sheet and can be replayed to reminisce about a moment or memory of a place
“ We feel that current technology should be merged and coupled with tangible artefacts and physical elements, in order to provide more engaging experiences and overcome some of the limitation of mobile technology. ”
– Luigina Ciolfi & Marc McLoughlin
Today, we experience memories through digital means (ie. videos and photos)
Current devices rely on visual and auditory recordings to capture moments
What if these memories were translated into a tangible medium?
- Design an object that can record the ambient sound of the moment, translate it and recall it as a motion of through the medium of a patterned paper.
- Have a variety of different paper patterns that have different visual cues
- Allow users to share or replay their stored memory through the playback function
- Is highly portable and fits well in the palm, akin to a small notebook.
[Video] Trailer: 🎬
[Video] Final Movie!